From 1997 to 2010, Magdalena Aotearoa published a regular newsletter, between two and four times a year. Currently, we do not have the resources (people, time or money) to produce a regular publication (but we may do so again in the future). Browse the list of past newsletters below and if you are looking for more Magdalena reading, please check out the Magdalena Project publications.
TheMagdalenaProject@25 - Legacy and Challenge is a collection of writings by more than 40 women who work in theatre all over the world, and marks the 25th anniversary of this extraordinary network. To order, please visit the Odin Teatret Webshop.
Selected back issues are available in hard-copy - contact Magdalena Aotearoa if you would like a particular issue. Some are available to download as PDFs but please note that the file has been reduced for easier download which means that image quality may not be so good.
- Issue 36, October 2010
- Reports on the first two Gatherings of 2010; report from the Vértice Brasil festival; Madeline McNamara writes about her process and progress; part 2 of Meg Torwl's story; and more.
Download the PDF (541KB)
- Issue 35, April 2010
- Information about the Gatherings 2010; reports from Green Shoots Productions and the Perth Workshop Festival; Meg Torwl writes from Canada; and more.
Download the PDF (812KB)
- Issue 34, December 2009
- Reports from Transit VI; reflections on the ten years since our 1999 festival; feminist theatre in Turkey; local news and notices.
Download the PDF (1.2MB)
- Issue 33, June 2009
- Reports from Recharge: the Gathering 2009; article about Randai; reviews of recent shows; local and international news.
Download the PDF (1.1MB)
- Issue 32, November 2008
- Information about Recharge: the Gathering 2009; reviews of recent shows; local and international news.
Download the PDF (622Kb)
- Issue 31, May 2008
- Reports from the National Gathering; report on Magdalena Sin Fronteras in Cuba. Download the PDF (952Kb)
- Issue 30, December 2007
- Celebrating ten years of the Magdalena Aotearoa Trust! Download the PDF (1.5MB)
- Issue 29, September 2007
- Pre-Gathering news; Hades' Window film by France Herve. Download the PDF (668Kb)
- Issue 28, June 2007
- Reports from the National Gathering. Download the PDF (844KB)
- Issue 27, December 2006
- Commemorating the life of Sally Rodwell and announcing the National Gathering. Download the PDF (734KB).
- Issue 26, September 2006
- Reports on the visits of Rosa, Jadranka and Antonella, and a report on Magdalena Singapore.
- Issue 25, April 2006
- Forthcoming visits of Rosa Casado, Jadranka Andjelic and Antonella Diana; Bipeds Productions update; reviews of Fringe & Festival shows.
- Issue 24, December 2005
- Tribute to Holstebro; obituary - Rona Bailey; notes from the Articulate Practitioner; Catching up with Josefina Baez; Project Antigone, Magdalena Singapore and Magdalena USA.
- Issue 23, July 2005
- the Patroness Programme; report from the 9th Pacific Festival of the Arts, Belau; response to the Playmarket article on women in theatre; news from Berlin, Puerto Rico and Denmark; red shoes - the desert dance.
- Issue 22, April 2005
- Projects Handbook launched; Magdalena Sin Fronteras, Cuba; regional and international news; Emily Empress returns.
- Issue 21, July 2004
- Suitcase Theatre; reports from foreign correspondents Jo Randerson and Helen Varley Jamieson; Lisa Maule's ara reo (language pathway).
- Issue 20, November 2003
- Tii Kouka panui; reports from Magdalena Australia; local and foreign news.
- Issue 19, February 2003
- Reports from Colombia; preparations for Magdalena Australia; Fringe previews; interviews and reviews.
- Issue 18, August 2002
- Visit of Josefina Baez, Lucette's letter from Leipzig, Daughters of Aotearoa gear up for Colombia, Alan Brunton remembered.
- Issue 17, April 2002
- Medellin Poetry Festival, Fringe reviews, visits of Jill Greenhalgh, Birgitte Girmstad and Josefina Baez, local and international news.
- Issue 16, January 2002
- Fringe Festival previews, Josefina Baez, memories of 2001 by Ana Woolf.
- Issue 15, August 2001
- Launch of Tii Kouka, Teatro Delle Radici tour, writing by Michelle Leggott, previews and reviews.
- Issue 14, March 2001
- Reports from Transit, new open Page, local news.
- Issue 13, September 2000
- Guest edited by Tii Kouka. Reports on the Making Waves workshop series and articles from South America.
- Issue 12, June 2000
- Dedicated to the memory of Celia West. Reports on the Making Waves workshop series, and tributes to Celia.
- Issue 11, February 2000
- Wellington's Fringe and International Festival, international and local news.
- Issue 10, December 1999
- Reports on the "Br/leeding Ground" in Cardiff, Wales, and news from Zimbabwe, Japan and Argentina.
- Issue 9, September 1999
- Reports on the festival; news from Asia and the Pacific, the Edinburgh festivals, and War and Theatre in Yugoslavia.
- Issue 7, January 1999
- The last issue before the Magdalena Aotearoa International Festival of Women's Performance, bursting with energy and last minute plans and announcements.